This course is designed to provide classroom work, yard driving, and road driving experiences designed to meet the needs of the trucking industry. Students are taught to drive defensively and to have the knowledge necessary to operate the vehicle as well as abiding by all local, state and federal regulations. Information is presented which will prepare the student for both the written and skills portions of the commercial drivers license (CDL) examination.
The mission of the Truck Driving Program is to prepare students for “entry-level” employment as tractor-trailer drivers by providing the identified knowledge and performance skills necessary to pass the Commercial Driver’s test. The course consists of 222 hours of intensive classroom and behind-the-wheel training that builds skills in safety practices, operation and maintenance of vehicles and non-vehicle activities in trucking.
|Time Commitment||Full Time, Part Time|
|Typical Program Length||2 Months|
|Class Type||Day, Night|
- Must be 21 years of age.
- D.O.T. medical exam.
- Negative drug screening test (must be within 30 days of starting class).
- Ten year MVR - student can have no more than three moving violations and/or accidents within the past three years and no alcohol or drug-related convictions in the last three years.
- Be a resident of TN and hold a valid state of TN driver's license.
- Obtain a commercial driver's license permit (DPA) prior to starting class.
- Attend an orientation session.
340 Washington St
Newbern, TN 38059
Drive a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). May be required to unload truck. Requires commercial drivers' license. Includes tow truck drivers.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 69,150
Current job openings per year: 8,470